Sunday, June 10, 2012

Happy Family Day!

On June 7th it was amazing to think about our last year together!  It's hard to believe that Kate has been in our family for a year already!  What a year it has been!!!!

At times it was a lot harder than I ever imagined it would be... but at other times it was the most amazing experience ever!  If I could do things over, I'd make sure Dave and I got out alone A LOT more often!  I think that would have helped me to have more patience.  Some days I would go from my 22 cute (but needy) second graders straight home to my own two amazing (but needy) children.  I was so busy trying to take care of everyone else that I didn't have any time or energy to take care of myself or my relationship with Dave.  The good news is that we survived it all and we all still like each other.  LOL!  The other good news is that summer is here!!!!  I have nine weeks off to just focus on my family! I am so excited!

We have all grown this past year in so many ways.  Brennan is much more accustomed to having a little sister.  The other day he came home from his friend's house and commented that his friend and their sibling fight a lot more than Kate and him!  He even went so far to say that Kate was actually a pretty good sister!  He will share drinks with her now, wants to sleep in the same room with her, and is okay if he finds me or Dave snuggling with her.  He used to not share any drinks (germs) and got mad and would walk off if we were snuggling with her.  Now he just plops down next to us and yells, "Family Hug!"  I asked him a month or so ago if he liked Kate and he immediately commented, "Duh mom!  I love her!  She's family."  I still wish it would have been love at first sight like I had imagined it would be, but it's getting there! 

Kate speaks perfect English now and understands that this is her family!  She knows that if we go away for a little bit, that we'll always come back.  It's nice to be able to go to the grocery store alone without leaving a screaming Kate at the door.  Now I can say I'm running out for a bit and she runs over to give me a kiss and continues playing.  She still cries but it is less and less often and not nearly as dramatic!  Our house is much quieter and calmer these days!

I look forward to the next year!  I breathe a sigh of relief that we all survived this last year!  It really was one of the toughest years of my life in many ways... but during this year I had some of the most amazing, memorable days as well!  I wish it could have been easier, but I do believe that we'll all be more empathetic people because of our experiences!  Maybe we all grew closer together too!  I hope they look back at our last year and have many laughs in years to come!  We would have been a good reality TV show! 

I ask for forgiveness from my friends and family if during my stressful days I let you down... being with Jan's friends at her funeral reminded me that true friends forgive and forget!  Thank you to all my true friends!  I have been blessed with all of you!  Family is stuck with us no matter what, but Dave and I are lucky to have such great families!  We love you guys!

We have been blessed with our two amazing children!  I look forward to the next chapter in our lives! 

No comments:

Post a Comment