Saturday, August 13, 2011

Summer Days in Raleigh

Coloring by flashlight
After unpacking, setting up the room, and catching up on bills... we had time to play!  We joined Jennifer and her adorable girls for a few days of fun.  We enjoyed painting pottery, swimming, and playing at their house.  One of the highlights was at their house during a storm and the electricity went out.  The kids had so much fun coloring in the dark and then decided to play a game of hide and go seek.  Laurel and Kate were a team and Brennan and Megan were a team.  They screamed and squealed and had so much fun for over an hour.  Jennifer and I sat on the couch and just laughed!  We both wished we would have thought to videotape the fun times- it truly was delightful to watch and be a part of!

Megan, Laurel, Brennan, and Kate




  
Kate loves music and often sings and hums her way through the day.  The Barney song is one of her favorites and she performed it many times for me to videotape.  She is so cute! 
With the end of summer approaching I had to spend some time in my room getting it ready for the beginning of the year.  Brennan has always enjoyed hanging out in my room, and I was excited that Kate thought it was a fun place to be too!  Of course everything is fun when Laurel and Megan join us too!
  Brennan was very excited to meet up with his fishing buddy again.  Mr. Thanos is a good friend that enjoys fishing as much as Brennan does.  He'll often take Brennan on the weekends to fish and the two of them will go rain or shine and as many hours as possible- I think their record is nine hours!  They were very successful last weekend when they caught this large mouthed bass!  They released it and hope to catch it again someday! 


August 4th, 5th, and 6th I headed up to the lake with my friends.  This is an annual trip that happens the first weekend in August and this was my fifth year joining the group.  People come and go throughout the weekend and this year there were ten of us.  Each person is responsible for one meal and the food is always delicious.  We eat way too much, relax, watch movies, have fun on the jet ski, and tube behind the boat.  It is always a weekend filled with laughter and great memories.  It's only for the women though- kids and husbands stay home! 
 
I was sad to say goodbye to my kids but so excited to have some time with my gal pals!  I also needed a break... sweet Kate is so adorable but she is truly my shadow.  I can't turn around without tripping on her or do any chores without her wonderful (but time consuming) "help".  It was a great break for me and a super weekend for Dave and the kids.  Unfortunately Brennan was a little under the weather so they stayed home, but they enjoyed the lazy time and Dave did a great job taking care of both of them!  It was also great to come home and be greeted with such enthusiasm!  It is always nice to get away but even nicer to come home to my sweet family!  I also celebrated my birthday at the lake and was very spoiled! 


August 9th was my official first day back to work...  we have five teacher workdays, which makes the return a little easier.  Brennan enjoyed my work week by attending a fishing camp with NC Fishing Adventures.  We'd drop him off at Wake Forest Road where a van would take the kids the 30 minutes to the camp.  We'd drop him off at 8:00 AM and pick him up at 2:00 PM.  He had such a GREAT week!
A

 
While he was at camp, Kate and I were at school.  One of the days she enjoyed with Laurel and Megan and had so much fun while I spent the day in meetings.  The other days she played in my room.  There were two great kids that came to play with her though and help me out-  Thanks Chris and Karin!  We have one more work day on Monday and then the kids begin on Tuesday, August 16th.  I have wonderful friends that will watch Kate until her school begins on August 25th.  We are still waiting to hear from the More at Four program that we really hope Kate gets into... we'll hear on Monday.  If she doesn't get in then we'll be looking for another option- fingers crossed though!

It's hard to believe our magical summer is almost over!  It has been amazing and although I am sad, I do enjoy my job and look forward to getting into a routine again.  I will miss my lazy mornings the most though!  Too bad school couldn't start at 10:00 AM instead of 8:00 AM!


No comments:

Post a Comment